Tater Tot Hot Dish is very common and easy to make hot dish. I have made it a few different ways, in the crockpot even too. But I will have to admit, this Cowboy Casserole is by far my most favorite version of it. Added bonus, it is so easy to put together too! Even better, there are leftovers (currently: as a family of 4, my kiddos don't always have giant appetites) that we can have them for another dinner during the week and my hubby can take it at least once for lunch (sometimes twice).
I have made a few changes to the original recipe:
- For the beef, I season with sea salt, black pepper, granulated onion, paprika, and a little cumin.
- How much cheese I add. In my opinion, most recipes rarely include enough cheese. As for the cheese, well I tend to put half the bag of cheese in to the mixture and the other half of the bag on top. So, anywhere from a 2-4 cups of cheese are used depending on the size bag I buy. This time around I used a 3 cup bag.
- You can also use frozen corn instead of canned, or even fresh sliced off the ear if in season.
- I have made up the ground beef up ahead of time and frozen
- I do usually make up the mixture the day before and put it into the casserole dish so it is ready to go. Just remember to leave off the tater tots and other half of the cheese if you go this route. Then pull it out and while the oven preheats, put the tater tot layer on and then the cheese.
- I highly recommend greasing the pan for easier clean up before pouring the mixture in.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (10.75 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (16-20 oz) bag frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Drain grease, then stir in the corn, soup, 1/2 cup cheese, milk, sour cream, and seasonings.
- Pour beef mixture into a 9x13" baking pan. Top with frozen tater tots (try to keep them in a single layer) and then sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and tater tots are thoroughly cooked.